Peanuts, Arachis hypogaea is a legume species, and native to South America, Mexico and Central America, also popularly known as groundnuts,monkey nuts, pig nuts.Peanuts grow in a very fascinating manner. They actually start out as an above ground flower that, due to its heavy weight, bends towards the ground. The flower eventually burrows underground, which is where the peanut actually matures.
The veined brown shell or pod of the peanut contains two or three peanut kernels. Each oval-shaped kernel or seed is comprised of two off-white lobes that are covered by a brownish-red skin. Peanuts have a hardy, buttery and “nutty” taste.
Here are some of the most well-known health benefits of Peanuts:
- Rich in energy – Peanuts contain vitamins, minerals, nutrients and anti-oxidants and thus are rich energy sources.
- It lowers bad cholesterol and increases good cholesterol in the body – Peanuts contain mono-unsaturated fatty acids especially oleic acid that prevents coronary diseases.
- Are good for proper growth and development of body – Peanuts are rich in proteins
- Fights Stomach Cancer.
- Fights against Heart Diseases, Nerves Diseases, Alzheimer’s Disease, and Infections.
- Reduces the Chances of Stroke.
- Protects Skin.
- Contain B complex, vitamins like niacin, riboflavin, thiamin, vitamin B6, vitamin B9, pantothenic acid etc.
- Contain Potassium, manganese, copper, calcium, magnesium, iron, selenium and zinc, etc.