So… lets start with an easy recipe : apple compote. My mom taught me this recipe and is great.
- 1.5 kg apples, such as Granny Smith, Pink Lady, and Golden Delicious, peeled, cored, and cut into 3 cm chunks
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split in half
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon Cognac, optional
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 cups water
Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Cover, and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until apples are tender, about 30 minutes. Remove the vanilla bean pods. Let cool completely.